Buying a home is the largest purchase most people will ever make. Homeownership has great benefits. Homeownership also comes with certain responsibilities.
Are you ready for homeownership? Look at your current situation and determine if:
- You have a continuing and reliable source of income prior to applying for the loan.
- You have a credit history that shows you’re ready for homeownership.
- Your total debt is manageable and you can afford to take on the costs associated with homeownership.
- You have money saved for a down payment and closing costs.
Once you fully understand your current situation, it’s important to look at the pros and cons of homeownership to make the best decision for you and your family. Homeownership is not right for everyone. It may not be the right time in your life or you may not like the commitment associated with owning a home. Here are some differences between renting and homeownership:
- Renters are typically free from maintenance obligations such as repairs or lawn care.
- Homeowners often have more freedom in decorating, landscaping, etc.
- Renters can move more easily and more quickly than homeowners and there are higher costs associated with buying and selling a home.
- Homeowners have a financial investment and may build equity in their home.